Every month, hundreds of local people visit us for hearing assessments and their hearing healthcare needs.
But hearing isn’t the only topic of conversation. Naturally, the conversation flows to learn about what they love doing, their hobbies/interests, and their favorite local spots.
It means that we’re constantly discovering new places and new recommendations.
That’s why we have decided to start our Love Local feature.
Every month, we’re going to spotlight a local business that comes either highly recommended by our team, many of our patients, or by me.
It will share a review of why it’s much loved, some special tips for your next visit, and all the reasons why we’re all so fortunate to live in this wonderful part of the world.
For the first Love Local spotlight, we’re focusing on one of my favorite places, the Steven Tanger Center.
On Thursday, December 30, I visited this impressive new theatre with my mom, cousin, and niece to watch Come From Away.
It was the third time I had visited, having previously watched fellow Broadway shows, including Wicked and Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.
If you’ve not heard of the Steven Tanger Center, it’s the relatively new theatre that was finally able to open its doors in September 2021 (initially scheduled for 2020 but delayed due to the pandemic) that is situated at 300 N. Elm Street, following the $93m state-of-the-art construction in downtown Greensboro.
With 3,000 seats, it is a wonderful addition to our community and allows us to see touring Broadway productions, concerts, and Greensboro Symphony Orchestra performances.
Following food, we then walked to the theatre and took our seats.
It’s an incredible venue where you can almost guarantee that every seat in the house has a wonderful view!
On top of that, the staff are very friendly and helpful, and I even noted that they have features for the hard of hearing.
- A Hearing Loop – this allows for hearing devices with a telecoil to have music/audio from the show streamed directly to your devices. Although I did not use the loop, as I found the acoustics to be fantastic with just the use of my hearing aids.
- Live Closed Captioning – through downloading an app called Gala Pro, you’re able to watch the closed captions of the show on your cell phone in front of you.
- Interpreters – the venue offers a complimentary option at request to have an interpreter. I have never seen one at any of the shows I have attended, but it shares on the website that they need arranging one month prior to the event.
Come From Away was a fantastic production if you ever have the opportunity to see it.
We were amazed by the whole cast.
There was creative staging, beautiful musical score, a heart-warming story, wonderful acting/singing and a positive uplifting message.
We laughed, cried and it was full of very touching moments.
Having this wonderful venue in Greensboro means that we can all benefit from seeing touring Broadway shows, allowing us to have access to some of the world’s best productions right here in Greensboro.
We are very lucky to have the Steven Tanger Center!
My Top Tips:
- There are several options for parking – but if you have evening tickets and you’re eating locally, then you can park on the street after 5. They also have VIP parking for $25 that allows you to park close to the theatre which is ideal if you have limited mobility.
- Ladies, I recommend that you take a small bag. I was told that the next time I visited, my bag should be 10 x 10” or smaller – eek!
My Recommendation To You
We’re so very fortunate to have this wonderful venue in Greensboro and if you’ve yet to visit, then I strongly encourage you to look through the upcoming listings and see if anything stands out to you.
It’s a perfect evening out for the family!
My niece, who is in her twenties, loved the show, and my husband Emil loves the theatre (although I’ve yet to take Molly and Stella!).
Do you have a local business that deserves to be spotlighted and recommended? Then email email@example.com – we would love to hear about it!